Thursday 14 February 2013

Good Old Fashioned Love.

Valentine's Day is a hit and miss across the world. People, single or in a relationship, either love it or hate it. And boy don't we all tell each other about it. You may sigh when you see that this is yet another lovey-dovey post, but by all means click the cross and read another blog. But I think it's good to share, and I'm the first to admit it's not always blue skies and kisses and cuddles.

Today is Aiden and I's fifth Valentine's Day together. And do you know what? It's been the best one yet. We're past the stage of buying extravagant teddies and huge cards (which still cost a fortune even if you do get them from Card Factory) which don't get me wrong I love, but really it's not worth it. (Neither are balloons, which I've made Aiden promise never to buy me for Valentine's).

We're past the stage of always being (or at least trying to act) perfect. When people first get into a relationship, it's all shaved legs (I don't think Aiden ever saw a hair on my leg for the first year..), perfect skin (cleverly covered by natural 'I just woke up like this' foundation) and uncomfortable yet sexy clothes and underwear.

Now, I won't lie. It's a lot more relaxed now. I have more 'make up free days' than I do 'make up days'. I always change into pyjamas or trackie bums as soon as I walk through the door, and now we live together, I can't avoid going to the toilet while he's in the house. My underwear never matches no matter how hard I try, and my hair looks Worzel Gummage's twin 90% of the time.

But do you know what? He still loves me. He tells me I'm beautiful even on my make up free days, he lends me his tracksuit bottoms, and he tells me my hair looks great

I can pretend I have the most perfect relationship in the world, but I don't. There's days when I would happily hit him round the face with that huge teddy from four years ago, but most of time, he's alright, and I wouldn't change him for the world.

"We are all a little weird, and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love."
 


2 comments:

  1. I love this! Happy Valentine's Day to you both.
    So sweet.

    www.jennasmusings.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, whether its two sentences or two paragraphs, I will always read them. Your comments never fail to put a smile on my face.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...